Wednesday, March 7, 2018

#SOL2018 Day 7 Where was the friendly receptionist?

I do not like going to the doctor or dentist. Today I had an appointment for a mammogram. So I gritted my teeth and headed out.

The receptionist spoke in gruff, one or two word phrases: "Birthday? Smoker? Middle initial? Doctor? Sign here."

All the while she was typing furiously on her keyboard. She shoved a blank envelope toward me but didn't provide any instruction. It lay on the counter. When she was done with the interview she said, "Address this to yourself."

I complied and tried to give it to her. She said, "No, take it with you."

Where was the friendly person who is supposed to calm my jitters?

The technician was friendly, thank goodness. She came early. She was professional and quickly put me at ease. Thank goodness.

6 comments:

  1. Common courtesy is in short supply these day. Sometimes when I get treated like this, I like to personify the saying "Kill them with kindness". I'll be sweeter than sugar and friendly to the point of annoyance.
    However, today you needed someone with empathy, and I'm sorry you didn't find it in the first face the office force on you. Thanks for sharing this slice today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I often like that tact too. Though today I could not pull it off.

      Delete
  2. That stinks we are all so vulnerable at the doctor's office, I'm sorry you had that experience. There are kind and unkind people everywhere. Glad you wrote it to get it out of your head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think writing did help me let it go. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Some days I can write experiences like this off to their own little rainclouds or jerkiness.

    Some days they become my rain cloud and linger over me because I am vulnerable, my emotional Teflon has worn thin, and other people are not attuned to my needs— even though it might be their actual job.

    I am sorry her less than stellar interaction left an unpleasant residue on your day and hope there’s some sunshine in store for you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Tomorrow I'm going with my husband to see his doctor who is such a nice friendly dr. He's always smiling, a treasure to visit. And a great Dr.

      Delete

Summer Reading List