Thursday, April 13, 2017

#A to Z Challenge Letter K is for kitten

Have you ever been responsible for a litter of kittens? 
One October I heard lots of high pitched crying so I investigated. 
I located the source in an old car. I found 6 newly born kittens. 
They hissed at me, but quit when I picked them up. 
I searched for their mom only to find 
her lifeless body in the floorboard. I gathered up 
6 kittens and realized I had to feed them. 
I found an old toy baby bottle, mixed up 
Some milk and grabbed one by one. They hungrily sucked 
As I held them. When I tried to take turns
They crawled up my leg
They ran all over
I figured out, put the one who just ate in a box. 
I did this every 4 hours.
It was demanding.
After the second night I kept them in my house
Because one wandered off.
I called my friend to ask for guidance
She gave me a new formula and more specific information
I was their mom, I had to teach them everything.
I had to stimulate their most basic needs.
She explained when I could make gruel.
I was ecstatic when they began eating on their own.
When it was time to find them a new home,
My friend took the litter to the Humane Society.
Young kittens are highly sought after. 
They were gorgeous!
I really wanted to keep one it didn't have a good place.
I gave them up for adoption.
I donated money for their keep.
It was an experience I will never forget.

2 comments:

  1. It's a lot of work, but that must have been a lot of fun taking care of all of those fur balls. They are beautiful kittens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a whirlwind of activity. They were really sweet

      Delete

Summer Reading List