Thursday, March 14, 2013

Another step in the growing SOL#14

I always joked with our only child that he would have to 25 before he got married. I taught at the public school he attended. Even in high school when I was the counselor, he would come by my office before he left for the day. I changed jobs one year after he graduated, it wasn't the same without him being there.

He went to college 200 miles from home and made lots of new friends. Once he even told me the guys were " like the brothers he always wanted."  They resurrected a fraternity while there. He graduated college, got a job, not working in the rural family business,  and moved 150 miles from home to the big city. Now he is 26 and has a girlfriend that he is serious about.

Today he called me, he was with a jeweler, looking at diamonds. He knows the cut, clarity, price and size he wants. The jeweler showed him 3 diamonds that fit his criteria. He is taking his time to make the decision. Next week the jeweler will have some settings for him to view. He knows what he wants and is proving he is ready to make this decision.

9 comments:

  1. Patricia - wow, this is exciting and heart wrenching all at once. The fact that such a short piece spans the time from from grade school to high school through college and now to engagement and starting a family of his own. As a mom on the opposite end of the spectrum, I am already worried about those days and times ahead. Yet, in my worry I am trying to be really mindful to just stop and enjoy to take it all in, the good, the bad and even the ugly. It sounds through your conversation that you have raised a wonderful young man, enjoy this next chapter of motherhood.

    Take Care.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole,
      Thank you so much. Your comments made my day. Time goes so quickly, especially once they start school. We have lots of good memories.

      Delete
  2. This will be an exciting time...as other mothers of the groom have said, "count to ten...hold your breath and count to ten again"
    and remember-it's all good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, that is sage advise for me. Thank you, I will remember the tip.

      Delete
  3. SOunds like one VERY grown up your man with a strong mind and sure of what he wants in life. Congratulations to you all!@

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita,
      Thank you very much. I was so excited as I checked my email for comments. You all made my day!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations. He indeed sounds like a very special young man. May you have joyful happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Hid dad and I think he is pretty special.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! As your family grows so will your joy! I've been very ill this week and my daughter in law was so encouraging, it was a joy to see how the man we raised found a woman equal for him.

    ReplyDelete

Summer Reading List